Friday, September 25, 2009

Heard on the web EVF's on DSLR'S

On the DP Review discussion forum [the 1d, 5D fora] someone pointed out that EVF [electronic view finders} were inevitable. I pointed out that this was not a good thing as we buy SLR's because of their pentaprisms. In a reply, I was called old school and the implication wa that I was not capable to appreciate this so called progress. The interlocutor went on to list the many advantages and then asked rethorically what were the shortcomings. My reply was:
Well as you put it there aren't any shortcomings unless you consider the photographer as part of the picture. Your ideal EVF camera can do all these wonderful things all by itself, it seems, and to the point where the person behind the camera becomes almost irrelevant. I like to pre visualize how my final photo will look like either on a monitor or as a print. When we shot film we didn't know anything until we developed and then printed the negatives. It may be old school and old fashioned but not all so called modern things are good. With all the new tech wonders can you tell me where the Anselm Adams, the Steichens, the Kertez's, the Breittenbachs, The Eugene Smiths, the Cartier Bressons etc. are? We old farts were able to take photos back then that would put all the pixel peepers to shame. Sports without AF or motor drives, for example. As I have stated, this is an art. Any attempt to make a photo a total copy of reality with all our "improvements," will kill photography. Oh yes some of us will lust over new equipment and take the same shots over and over again. Each time more "perfect" but always at the same level. One must think before one presses that shutter, it eventually becomes second nature. I'm afraid that all the gadgets do is put more distance between the photographer and the subject. They sort of get in the way. All this so called progress only increases the level of mediocrity, I'm afraid. It's my honest opinion; not meant to offend anyone or show anyone off. I may be old school but I have paid my dues.

2 comments:

  1. It can be pointed out that matters of tech and the impediments to vision and execution in photography are many, but it can never be explained without a measure of experience also included in the formulae. The distinction of the simplicity and capability of film gear is that without the digital interface, that we are now so hopelessly dependant upon for feedback or ego support is, there is a deeper reflexive tapping of motivation coming from an imaging process with simple and direct tools. That connection to the sense that there is a mystery open for dialogue is powerful and renders the control and strength of the image in the mind and heart of the photographer. This is a good condition and circumstance for creativity to flower.

    Change is a part of the continuum that we all partake and willingly contribute to, but that change is again maligned when there are perceived starts and stops to matrices and references that we are accustomed to and enjoy. Today longing for K64 is about as fruitless as wishing that the printing press would go away so we can all get back to serious writing. That matter of contrast and juxtaposition in our sensibilities and evaluations is essential, never mind that it is often criticized as whining.

    I have resolved to set the camera menu ONE time and refrain from review of the LCD until all the dealing is done. Also I am looking into the dark case where the Spot lives and thinking that these old lenses actually render a character to the image that I cannot ever duplicate with the fanciest of Pshop layers and tips. I may update the imaging workflow with a scanner or an adapter for the m42 lenses, but the imaging process in my heart will remain the same as always. Only through a concerted effort to marry the best of the past technique with the crafty selection of modern tech will I feel comfortable moving forward with my willful effort to make images as I aesthetically demand.

    FC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for the thoughtful reply. My problem with all the gadgets is that they really stand in the way. I realize that they can be ignored but most of the time they are not.I realize that we cannot go back but we can use the technology to make us better photographers instead of making us more tech savvy. I also deplore all this mad rush for higher and higher pixel count as it makes the photo more real. Photography must be surreal if it is to survive as an art.

    ReplyDelete

Fall splendor