Thursday, February 28, 2019

The magic of 120 black and white

There was a magic when shooting middle format film that can never be achieved with digital. As you may already know from past posts, my favorite 120 black and white film was Tri-X professional. It had a speed of 320 as opposed to 400 for 135 Tri-X that was also my favorite small format film. I used to develop them in Kodak D-76 full strength to reduce grain although in 120 this was not a problem. This film had a tonality that was purely magical. I'm not one of those who misses film and goes around with film cameras. I had to do too much dust and hair retouching and the chemicals were not good for my health. Film also created much pollution and waste. Sadly, digital because of it's ease of use, killed photography. Too bad but nothing lasts forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall splendor