Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Archival problems

When it comes to film, it must be understood that from the moment it's manufactured onward there's a slow and ineluctable process of deterioration. This is slowest in black and white film that is properly washed. Kodachrome slides were able to hang on to their hues while Ektachrome slides were  unstable along with Agfachrome, Ferrania, GAF, etc. Here we have an example of two Ektachromes taken on the same day. The top one developed an annoying magenta color shift that I wasn't able to eliminate to my taste with Photoshop. I was able to kind of save the bottom one in color. Thanks to black and white conversion I was able to at least scan the image and preserve it. I kind of like the results. This is the South Street Seaport in the seventies when it was still in it's infancy, shot on a winter day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall splendor