Saturday, June 20, 2009

To my beloved D1X





If the tittle seems rather mushy or even trite, what follows is anything but.
I have had a love relationship with this camera for many years and I used it for my professional needs for some time. I originally traded the Canon 1D for my first D1X and then bought a second one. BTW all at [ARMATO PHOTO VIDEO.] These were then traded for two D2h's that I used for a long time and once again I returned to using 2 D1X's. I now use a d700 and a D2X for my pro work while I keep a Canon 5D and 30D for personal use. Is there a 5DII in the pipeline...perhaps, but I digress.
I know that this sounds crazy but I must admit to falling in and out of love with cameras rather quickly.
After this long rambling introduction, let me state categorically that after many changes I truly miss this camera. I will also state, that based on my personal experience, this camera has almost no peers in reproducing beautiful colors. Only the Fuji S1 Pro and S2 Pro will beat it. [More on this in subsequent musings.]
I know that it's slow when shooting raw and that the highlights tend to clip - bad news for weddings pros - but the skin tones are lovely and in spite of what is considered, by today's standards, a rather puny pixel count, this is a true gem and one that will go down as one of Nikon's better efforts in image quality.
The battery is a problem, and even with the buffer upgrade, one can shoot only a few NEF images before it fills up and shooting must stop. The playback is slow and the magnification is not up to today's standards nor is the small LCD screen. All minor quibbles when compared to those lovely hues, that smooth tonality and that mystical quality. This camera is one for the proverbial record book.
The samples above will underscore my assertions of it's quality and of my strong belief that you do not need globs of pixels; even to even shoot nature.
Enjoy,
Rocco Galatioto

2 comments:

  1. The geisha's walking down the hill is gorgeous! You should downsize the photos for upload. When you click on them they are very large.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amore Mio
    I know, please come and show me how. I have a few itemas to discuss about the blog.
    Love,
    YD

    ReplyDelete

Fall splendor