Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Fourth of July to my adopted country


This is the flag that proudly stands above Forth McHenry in Baltimore Harbor. It is the same flag that watched over the battle for Baltimore in 1814. The Americans won when they repelled the British forces that wanted to lay siege on the city. This is the flag that inspired the creation of the Star Spangled Banner and the rest is history, as they say.
Happy birthday America, may you go on and on. Surely you have some flaws, but you are still the best place in the world. I know that for some these words will sound trite as they have been inculcated to find faults with their country. I find this very strange and troubling. Some will even feel embarrassed by any thought of patriotism. As for me, I get goose pimples when I see our flag. No shame, no guilt no BS. Only pride from one who knows the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall splendor