Sunday, August 2, 2009

In the I can hope dept. A leica CL digital camera

Wouldn't it be nice the Beach Boys song goes.. and I apply this to an idea that occurred to me while at one of my favorite camera stores, Armato Pro Video, yes they have still cameras. I was looking around and talking to Michael when I saw a used Leica CL for 350.00. I thought came in my head. Wouldn't it be nice if Leica, dropped a 4/3 sensor in the camera and took it from there. They have all the dies. I would even like the lever that would now simply cock the shutter saving on battery life. The 2X magnification factor would easily be adjusted on the frame lines and we could use all M mount lenses on it. It's a dream, but Minolta had the CL too so now Sony could do it or Leica could license it to Panasonic. But as the say goes, I can dream can't I?

2 comments:

  1. We should hope that there could more of an alternative to the greater trend of the marketing drive that presents heavy and overly complex digital pieces for prices that might apply toward still future camera developments. It seems that there is more retro or degradation in the offerings we have today with still many points of comparison showing the finer craftsmanship of Japanese industrial art coming from the 70’s as being superior. As the handheld computer imaging system grows in sophistication the overall complexity of the functionality begins to override the executable grace of the design as a whole. Is the pride in Japanese craft gone? I wish my F2 had a digital back.

    Recently I handled the Olympus EP-1 and I find that there is much possibility in the overall design – but still sometime in the future. There may be a strong case for using an antique PEN with modern film as a best compilation of design and performance available today. I defer to this article as it covers more details on the EP-1 than I am able to note so carefully: http://www.dantestella.com/technical/e-p1.html

    As a side note: I attended a wedding over the weekend where I saw the professional with two D3’s both with Sigma glass. Certainly, I have had good experience with Sigma and Tamron lenses, but this seems such a no – no. The results later will tell…

    FC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you.
    As always, your comments are informative and thoughtful.
    RG

    ReplyDelete

Fall splendor