Friday, June 14, 2013

Taken for a ride

I can understand all the fuss about CAS [community supported agriculture] with it's concomitant organic and biological reality. And I can hardly understand paying more for this produce. BUT when I pay 12 dollars for peas on a so called "local farm" at Orient Point in Long Island and come away with a pittance of tiny and useless peas I get rather annoyed. With the same amount of money I could have bought a lot more fresh peas at a local store. This sort of thing makes you almost yearn for chemical fertilizers. NEVER AGAIN. CAS may actually be a super rip off that hipsters and other bourgeois types who love to waste money can appreciate. Last April  in Sicily, at my favorite farmer's market, I got exceptional  peas at a lower price than in the super market and they were absolutely delicious.Here they are sold directly to the buyer and they cost more. Go figure. Fool me once shame an me, fool me twice, shame on me. No more silly CAS for me. It looks like as big a rip off as organic. Just another way to take the unsuspecting consumer for a ride.

The results are on the left and the empty pods are on the right

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall splendor