Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I love and miss this city




Being in Italy one of the questions I'm often asked is how is it to live in New York, what is it like, what does it feel like and so forth. Naturally, being a great fan  Being a great fan of the big apple, the city that I absolute love unconditionally, I find it difficult to relate what the city is like. It's great energy. it's diversity, the fact that one can walk in it's  disparate neighborhoods and seldom hear a word of English spoken, for example. Not to mention the myriad of foods and smells that accompany such walks. What I try to convey is that New York is not typical of America and if one came to the states and only visited New York, one would never  have actually set foot in America. By analogy, it's as if one came to Italy and only visited Venice, or perish the thought, Naples, just kidding, and believed that the
rest of Italy was similar.
While I'm in Sicily, the most wonderful part of Italy, I'm not kidding, I miss New York terribly. It is the only place other than my beloved Castellammare del Golfo where I wand to live and where I'm truly happy. In this comparison, Sicily wins by a nose. Therefore, I always go through my files and look at my photos of my beloved New York and then share them with you.What is interesting that In Sicily people call me American no matter what, while in the States, I am always Italian no matter what.
I can speak fluently, people ask me for directions etc, but to my friends I am l'americano. There's no escape. The same is back in the States. I could speak like John Wayne, dress up in my famous hip hop outfit, I am always Italian. I believe to have have solved this problem in a  way by calling myself a New Yorker, but they still do not get it. C'est la vie.
So bear with me as I post photos that probably have been posted already  shot in of my favorite parts of the city, Madison Square Park. To paraphrase
the immortal lyrics of an early sixties song. it's my city and I cry if I want to. ENJOY

Happy Wednesday / Buon mercoledi'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall splendor