Thursday, February 7, 2013

A comment to an item on DPREVIEW.COM

DPreview.com, is a very important source of information and a place to interact with fellow  photographers. Blow is my comment on an interesting article highlighting the work of a so called "conflict photographer" who uses a smaart phone. A very sobering article.
I have mentioned this trend many times in my blog sort of  as a way to tease those of us who crave billions of pixels and super huge cameras but also as a way to presage where we are headed. I believe that with improvements for most people a smart phone will replace the camra.  It  has already begun. I have seen incredible smart phone and ipad images. I know that bigger is better but I remember that as films got better and better, the 135 format became king. Surely the  same film in larger formats gave better images but the usability of the 135 format made it more useful. The same will happen with digital cameras. OK, we cannot shoot serious assignments with phones but for most purposes a phone will do.  What this will cause the camera industry is a serious crisis. This would, in the end be bad for all of "us."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall splendor